About Me Freebies Home Image Map

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Chicks Hatching

Wow!  Today was a crazy, fun day (even though it snowed again)!  We watched 4 chicks hatch in our classroom.  4 more eggs have pips in them.  This little chicky took FOREVER to hatch.  He finally came out AFTER the kids got on the busses.  I told them I would record it with my Document Camera so they could see it tomorrow. Usually it takes about 10 minutes to come out.  This little one took 1 1/2 hours.  The chick on the left started to hatch when I came back from bus duty and it was out in 5 minutes.  It's been so much fun!
 
This is the video I that I recorded so the kids could see the chick come out.


This little chick's eye kept watching us.



We weighed the chicks.  The kids guessed how much they thought the chick weighed.  We compared the weights to a can of pop, bag of M&M's, etc.  We learned that they are 1 ounce when born.  All of the chicks we weighed were an ounce.  We also learned that our Fiskars scissors are an ounce.  They are equal.
 




My boys came in with me after school.  They love playing with the chicks every year.



 
 
 It was a fun day! 
 
 Sara
 

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. So cute! We bet the kids had a blast! Thanks for sharing!

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete