I am linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching to share 5 things about my week!
1. My BIGGEST news and current excitement in my life is that I am going to be teaching kindergarten next year! I am sooooo excited about this! I taught kindergarten 15 years ago when I was a brand new teacher. I then looped to first grade with my k class. I went back to kindergarten to pilot all day kindergarten and then landed in first again! That has been where I have been for the past 11 years. Our district will be switching from 1/2 day kindergarten to all day kindergarten next year. I was excited and put in my request to transfer down. I will miss first grade so much! There are so many things I love doing in first grade (chicks, gingerbread man, Author's Tea, teaching my kids to be readers and writers and seeing the huge growth). I will miss my team the most but will be working with an amazing team next year too! This week construction started on our school. The new kindergarten rooms are being built! Whoo hoo!!
I am also sooo excited that I get to attend the Wild About Kindergarten conference in two weeks. Info here. I have gotten so many wonderful ideas from Deanna Jump over at Mrs Jumps Class. I am excited that I get to actually meet her and get more ideas from her.
2. We started our chick unit this week. We have done so many things in our class related to chicks.
We made our own nests.
I have tons of things in my Chick Life cycle unit. You can find it HERE!
I have free word wall words HERE!
3. We started our poetry writing this week. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE having kids write poetry. Every year we do "LOVEY" activity. You can read about it in this post.
We made popcorn and used our five senses to write about making popcorn. I used this fantastic product by Susan over at Thank God Its First Grade.
You can find it HERE.
4. Our Student Council had a NEON day today. Everyone wore neon clothes. I had some sunglasses that I was going to use at the beginning of the year with my kids...but I never had a chance to do the project I was going to do. So, today, I thought it was fitting that each kid got a pair of sunglasses.
They all looked so cute and BRIGHT in their neon clothes.
I even wore tons of neon and painted my nails in glow-in-the-dark neon nail polish. The kids thought it was so cool.
They also loved my bright socks!
5. My husband and I finally moved our treadmill out of the garage and up the stairs. It has felt so good to run on it again. I have 2 5k's coming up soon and need to get training for them.
That's about all for now! I hope you had a wonderful week!