About Me Freebies Home Image Map

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Word Families

We have been busy working on word family words.  My kids are loving it.

We start our routines by grabbing our white boards, dry erase markers and kleenex and have a seat by my easel.  I tell the kids what word family we will be working on.  I then have them come up the front and pull a letter to the left of the word chunk.  They have to say the sound the letter makes and the sound the chunk makes.  They then have to slide the letter and chunk together and say the word that they made.



As kids are making a word at the front of the room, the rest of the kids are writing their word on their boards that are in their laps.  Once we are all done, we read all the new words that we made.


We put our things away and then do our word family mini book.  My kids absolutely love these.  I have the words copied on yellow card stock to make them stand out a little bit more.  It also helps my kids that are struggling with cutting to have a better handle on the paper.
You can find them here.  You will not be disappointed with anything from The Moffatt Girls.

Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment